1. This is truly a hateful message. Frank complained to me much
earlier that his teachers were really mad and that he was under pressure to negotiate
hard. After reading a few year's worth of newsletters it didn't surprise me that our
teachers were angry. From what Frank had told them they should have been furious
2. This became part of a mantra that all the teachers repeated.
But our negotiating team knew how far the school board was willing to go which, until the
bitter end, was only as far as we could go without making cuts.
3. How does one explain a union president telling his members
such nonsense? It can't help morale but it can increase bitterness and make them eager to
4. I'm not sure what Frank means by this. I presume he is
comparing us to rich suburban districts that have more money to pay their teachers than
property poor Duluth.
5. This is more of the myth that the teachers fell behind in a
previous contract. I don't think this is true. It didn't happen in 95-97 and this time our
teachers ultimately got an 11% increase over 2 years compared to a statewide average
increase of 9%.
6. Those "millions" are only six or seven weeks of
operating money. The way Frank talks about it makes him sound like a turn of the century
lumber baron talking about the never ending forests of America. We could never run out of
7. This is another time honored myth: That the district is
earning interest and hiding it from the teachers as though we were a publicly traded stock
and our stockholders were making a profit. The fact is that any interest we earn becomes
part of our teacher's paychecks. The union is only interested in short term gain for a few
teachers and is not interested in letting us wisely manage our money to maximize it.
8. "Gang of Five" Hey that's me Frank's talking about!
9. This is the biggest joke of all. If teachers are afraid of
anything its having the union shun them. I wrote back to a teacher about how exagerated this climate of fear stuff
was. This reply is what got me in so much trouble.
10. This is not just rhetoric. Its a call for revenge!
11. Must be talking about me again.